Location: Immigrant Movement International Corona, 108-59 Roosevelt Ave., Corona NY 11368, near the 7train stop at 111th St.
Everyone is invited to a celebration where we will look back at the work that has been done In community at IMI Corona. This is open to everyone. You are welcome to bring something small to eat and share, but we will have tamales too!!
– There will be simultaneous interpretation in English and Spanish
– There will be childcare.
– We invite you to bring something small to eat and share.
– This is a scent-reduced space, so to make it welcoming for people with fragrance sensitivities/allergies (ex: Please do not use perfume)
– New photography exhibition, a collaboration of Project Luz and Mujeres En Movimiento colectivo.
– New IMI Corona values quilt and silk screening by Mobile Print Power
– Opportunities to register to free art workshops!
– For sale: our new Children’s Coloring Book, made by children and members of our community!
12PM-1:30PM– Community School of Thought About Community Defense post-election.
Under the Obama administration, immigrant rights have weakened, and the Trump presidency presents new challenges for immigrant communities. Join us for a conversation about how we can create a more unified, prepared and autonomous community to keep building community power and to get organized. We will study and learn how other immigrant communities in New York have created support networks and sanctuary spaces fighting against the fear and confronting the threat of deportation. We will also have a space to reflect about the elections and to discuss next steps. We will start with a short theater by the group Theatre of the Oppressed and the Aids Center of Queens County, where the actors will recreate scenes about their own experiences as working class undocumented people with interactions with the criminal justice system.
2PM-3:30PM– Workshops and artists presentations about their work and projects to come in 2017
– Ñukanchik Llakta Wawakuna-MovimientoCultura
– Yessica Martinez, Milton Xavier Trujillo, Christian Guiñanzaca
– Mobile Print Power
– Project Luz and Mujeres En Movimiento colectivo.
– IMI Corona English class!
3:30PM-5PM– Dancing and Eating!
We will have tamales cooked by Señora Esther (at 90th street and Roosevelt Ave.) and music of DJ Paway (Christian Guiñanzaca) and DJ YanaAllpa (Danna Yana Allpa Mendoza)
Language detector for SVG